Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sioux Falls to Fargo

Day 2 -- Another great day on the road! Although the drive today was again uneventful, (read: lots of rolling flat hills with the occasional corn plot or cattle feed lot) I enjoyed listening to the latest edition of 'This American Life'. For those who don't listen to the program, they follow a theme with three stories, generally with subtle variations on the theme. This week's theme was 'Held Hostage', with the most interesting story being about 3 people in New Orleans who were held hostage by a man burying them in ridiculous legal paperwork, claiming that he owned or held rights to their property... If you're interested go here.

Arrived in Fargo at about 2:00 with heavy thunderstorms accompanying me. I headed out to lunch at a local sandwich joint in Moorhead (just across the river from Fargo) called 'Grand Junction' known for their 'East Coast Style Sandwiches'. I got their signature sub which had salami, ham, turkey, peppers, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and provolone cheese. They cook all their sandwiches like Philly cheese steaks- combine everything on a big grill, chop it up, and add bread on top - you know the routine. The sandwich was above average, but the bread was the highlight - delicious, freshly baked, and nice n' crispy.

The weather was still icky after lunch, so I headed for a sweet fix and a boon for a rainy day. Carol Widman's Candy, a Fargo establishment since 1885, was just the spot. I got a couple pieces of their famous 'Chipper Fritters' which are chocolate covered potato chips (Delish!) and also sampled a chocolate covered habanero pepper while I was there. Normally I'm a hot pepper lover, but this thing blew me through the roof! I started sweating, hiccuping and thought I might just pass out right there! I humbly excused myself with a piece of caramel to soothe my pain, retreated to the car, defeated by a piece of candy. Sorry no pictures of my suffering :P

The weather finally let up, and I was able to inspect a couple of outdoor locations that I had wanted to visit. The Fargo visitor center, which is shaped like a grain silo, is home to one of the most beautiful of the bison j. doe projects, so I had to snap a couple pics! After a quick visit, I headed over to Concordia College, where a couple friends had attended, to check out the campus. The campus was lush and green, and had a few pieces of cool modern art, including the pic attached called 'North Winds'.


After a long day, I checked into the local HoJo and set out to watch the Lakers-Celtics game at a sports bar down the street - One hell of game! Its now well after midnite, so I should hit the sack -- I'm camping tomorrow, so there won't be an update - prepare for a double dose on Thursday!

A.S. Bloom

Follow Me On Flickr for All My Photos:
www.flickr.com/48states80days/

1 comment:

  1. Looking at that sandwich, I now finally have a good excuse to go to North Dakota!

    ReplyDelete