Search This Blog

Friday, June 18, 2010

Seattle and the Olympic National Forest

Its only been 2 days since the last entry, but it feels like its been ages! So much has happened since the last posting that again I will be breaking my post into two manageable sized blogs rather than one incredibly large one. The good news: You, the reader, get another double dose of life on the road with me -- Could you ask for more?

OK, so last you heard from me, I had arrived in Seattle, and was preparing for a day on the town. Well, that day on the town was wildly fun, and filled with all the sights, sounds, and smells of one of the most beautiful cities on the West Coast. My first stop, after struggling to find parking, was at the Pikes Place Market, an icon of Seattle. The market is absolutely spectacular and chaotic, with vendors hawking their wares, street performers crooning on every corner, and the smells of fresh fish, baked goods, and just about every other wonderful smell you could possibly dream up. It is truly a feast for the senses! 

After strolling about the market for over an hour, being fed by every vendor with a little bit of this and that, I settled down by the waterfront for a quick bite from Piroshky, Piroshky -- a delectable baked bite filled with delicious BBQ pork. This place is world reknowned for their cuisine, and it was completely apparent why. As I approached, the line was waaay out the door, probably at least 30 people or more. You know that the food is good if people are willing to wait 30 minutes in line, when there is an abundance of great food within spitting distance. Its authentic, and in case you doubted them, they have a huge window right into their kitchen where you can see babushka piroshky herself!

After feasting my senses at the market (and buying a couple items for dinner - but more on that later!) I made a quick jaunt over to the Space Needle to snap some pics of the surrounding artwork, as well as take pictures from 60 stories up! The space needle provides the best vantage point in all of Seattle, and is truly worth the price of admission. You can see for miles and miles around you, with breathtaking views of the city, Puget Sound, and the Olympic Peninsula. The art was cool too :).

After my adventures in downtown Seattle, I made the trek to the Olympic National Forest for a night of camping. This involves driving down to the coastline, and then taking a ferry from Seattle to a little town called Kingston. After arriving, one takes a magnificent rural road up the coastline to the Forest which sits secluded on the Northern part of the peninsula. The whole drive is absoultuely breathtaking, and I would reccomend it to anyone, any day of the week. 

I arrived at the campground around 8:00, exhausted from a long day of travel and sightseeing, but not too exhausted to cook myself a gourmet meal  --- Remember I mentioned that I bought some goodies for dinner? Those goodies included freshly caught spot prawns, hand picked organic arugula, and Washington asparagus. Inspired by the bounty of my shopping, I quickly cooked up a delicious plate for myself, took a walk around the forest, and then passed out. A fun filled day, not to be soon forgotten...

A.S. Bloom

Follow Me On Flickr for All My Photos:
www.flickr.com/48states80days/

1 comment: