Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Awestruck at Yellowstone

Good evening blogosphere -- Tonite you will be treated to not one, but two postings! There has been so much going on in the past couple of days that I could not realistically justify mashing all the information into one blast, so I'll sit down here and fire away.

I left Bozeman for Yellowstone at about 9:30 on Sunday morning, and encountered one of the most beautiful drives I have ever experienced. I took the more scenic of the two routes (Hwy 191) which follows what I believe to be the Gallatin River, and winds methodically up through the mountains. Absolutely spectacular views the whole way, which forces one to really concentrate on driving rather than the gorgeous scenery that surrounds you. Arrived at the West entrance to Yellowstone at about noon on Sunday with much fanfare. Upon arrival there was a line of about 10-15 cars in each lane with numerous cars piling in behind me.  Quite busy, and as the park ranger that greeted me noted, it would only get busier in coming weeks.

After getting past the main thoroughfare into the park, I pulled off to the side of the road to orient myself with the map of the park. Unfortunately for me, Yellowstone is absolutely massive and has many winding offshoot roads that can easily lead to confusion. As to not complicate and already complicated matter, I (for the most part) stayed on the Grand Loop Road which as it sounds makes a large circle through the park (something like 100+ miles in total). After a short bit of driving I happened upon the first geyser park on the main road. All I can say is that I was giddy with amusement, and must have looked like a lunatic, often giggling to myself in amazement of the natural wonder. These geysers were very impressive, but nothing like what was in store for me 15 miles down the road.

Old Faithful is likely the most iconic figure in all of Yellowstone and is recognized the world over for its impressive display which is unlike anything else in the world. I arrived at the site at about 1:20 and there was already a large group gathered around the geyser anticipating its eruption. The NPS predicts the expected time of eruption and posts it so that groups can gather and watch the event. Generally their predictions are within 10 minutes of the actual eruption, and today was no different. As the geyser erupted one could hear the chorus of thousands of camera lenses capturing the image. It was truly stunning, and does not leave one with much doubt as to why it is so famous. It was absolutely spectacular.

After seeing the main attraction, I headed South to Yellowstone Lake which by most accounts is just as spectacular as Old Faithful. The lake is enormous, and one is barely able to see from one side to the other. The only thing that really allows a bit of perspective on its size are the mountains that are the backdrop for the lake. Without these, the lake would seem to go on forever and ever, but luckily the peaks provide context on the sheer size of the lake, and only increase the beauty of the area.

After seeing Yellowstone Lake (located at pretty much the Southernmost point of the park) I headed back North to my intended camp point, Mammoth Hot Springs. Although the drive was not lengthy in terms of mileage, the time required to cross from one side of the park to the other is massive. To reach my campgrounds, it took nearly 3 hours from point A to point B. Frustrating, but how can one really complain when you're traveling through places like Yellowstone Canyon and multiple scenic views that have inspired artists for centuries?

I arrived at my campsite at about 7:30 and rushed to make camp and build a fire before realizing that I easily could have taken my time, given that the the sun sets there well after 10:00. After making camp, I got my cook on, and prepared myself a nice little feast of sausage, peppers, onions and some nice whole grain bread - Yum! After dinner I did a little writing, and then hit the sack, satisfied with one of the greatest days of my young life. 

A.S. Bloom

Follow Me On Flickr for All My Photos:
www.flickr.com/48states80days/

2 comments:

  1. WOW! So amazingly beautiful! What a wonderful experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellowstone Nat'l Park has been one of my favorite adventures in the States. I'm hoping on taking my bf there soon so that he can see the amazing natural sights too.

    Safe travels,
    L.

    ReplyDelete