Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mount Rushmore and The Crazy Horse Monument

Welcome to Day 5 of my epic journey. Another rainy day, but I was very fortunate to get looming clouds instead of rain this morning for my trip to Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Monument. I woke up early (around 8ish), got my stuff packed in the car, and jetted up the hill to try to see the sites before the imminent weather. I was hesitant with large dark clouds hovering over the area, but as I said before, I was very happy to get some high winds and light drizzle instead of what came later in the day.

I know Ive said it already, but the brief reprieve from the damp weather was truly a blessing, as both Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse were truly spectacular, and not to be missed. Its hard to believe that I went nearly a quarter of a century without visiting these sites, but now that I have, I know that I was missing quite a bit. Rushmore was grandiose and beautiful, and I can't really compare it to anything that Ive ever seen before. The monument serves as an interesting political commentary -- What is even more interesting is the president that can be viewed from the ride up/down the hill, whereas if you want the full view you must pony up the bucks!

My main sentiment about the Crazy Horse monument is how truly gigantic it is. Because I visited Mt. Rushmore first, my initial impression was "wow, its amazing how large and detailed the monument is." That was only my impression for a few minutes, however, because as you view Crazy Horse you are truly taken aback by how it dwarfs Rushmore. Although it is nowhere near completion, there are scale models of the finished project in and around the visitor center. I really hope that it is completed within my lifetime so that I can experience the grandeur of the finished project!

The drive from the sites to Casper took a little longer than I had hoped, mainly due to significant road construction on some of the rural highways that I was traveling to get there. At one point I was stopped for more than 30 minutes while traffic was being directed! No worries though, as I was thoroughly entertained by some Dane Cook CDs that I have. I have heard his bits a million times, but I always bust a gut with some of his jokes -- Especially his routine where he turns the sounds of a car alarm into a monologue -- hilarious!

Dinner tonite was served at La Cocina, a little Mexican joint down the street from my hotel. Generally my opinion of Mexican restaurants heavily depends on the quality of their chips and salsa, and theirs were exceptional. For those of the Omaha constituency, they reminded me a bit of OJs back in their heyday. Dinner was a Mexican salad with chicken, guac, and sour cream. Everything was good, the chicken a bit too salty for my taste, but overall very tasty. The margarita that accompanied dinner was also well crafted and strong, another important fixture that defines good Mexican restaurants.

Once again, its getting late, and I have a long drive ahead of me tomorrow.  Im still deciding as to whether I will drive to Bozeman or Billings, but I suppose I will have more to report in the next installment!

A.S. Bloom

Follow Me On Flickr for All My Photos:
www.flickr.com/48states80days/

2 comments:

  1. Basil and I are reading and craving some good chips and salsa! woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knows when Crazyhorse will be done, it does not look so different from what I remember it looking like about 18 years ago. We may have to live a long time to see its completion my friend

    ReplyDelete