Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Savannah and Charleston

Welcome Back! After a restful stop in Tampa, it was again time to resume the road trip. I headed North and East to Savannah, a five hour drive from Florida. The drive up was beautiful and relaxing, and before I knew it I was pulling into the historic South. The Western US is gorgeous and wide open, but few areas are as steeped in history as the deep South.

I arrived in Georgia with plenty of sun left, and decided to wander a bit through one of the most beautiful areas in Savannah: Forsyth Park. Forsyth Park is widely known, and it did not disappoint. After a quick bite at a local organic foods coop, I headed over to the park to walk around and snap some photos. Wide open green spaces and marvelous old oak trees abound, with antique civil war memorials and fountains strafing the middle of the park. It was a gorgeous day, and the walk was truly inspiring. The architecture of the houses surrounding the park are also stunning, and a great introduction to the history that defines the area.

After spending a nice afternoon in the park, I did a little cruising around, and then turned in for the night, with thoughts of continuing my journey through the South the next day in Charleston. A short drive from Savannah, Charleston came quickly into view, and I knew I would finally get some beach action in the Atlantic. What I didn't expect was the magnitude of my lodging (I had expected to be moteling it again) -- I was able to finagle a 2 night stay at a magnificent beach house on the Isle of Palms owned by my parent's friends. A ten minute walk from the beach, and right on a canal, I could not have asked for more. 

After a great night's sleep, I headed into historic Charleston to see what it had to offer. Charleston is a magnificent city steeped in Southern charm and tradition, oozing with class. I was able to snag a key parking spot right off the main drag, and subsequently began a walking tour of the area. Although it was a hot day, I hardly noticed it as I was drawn in by the sheer beauty of the area. The first part of my tour took me to the waterfront area, which has several gorgeous fountains and spectacular views of the water. It was beautiful, but nothing in comparison to where I was headed next.

What Charleston is really known for is its historic homes and churches, many of which date back to the 1700s, something no Western state can claim. I ventured down to rainbow row, which garners its name from the historic homes which are painted in all sorts of wonderful pinks, purples, and greens. Right near rainbow row, several old antebellum homes can be spotted, and stick out with their antique architecture and wrought iron facades and gates - truly gorgeous. The churches are also amazing, and remind you of something you might see in London or Paris, not somewhere in the U.S.... My words cannot even do this area justice - Jump over to the flickr page for the full effect. 

Alright blogosphere, you are finally caught up with the trip! Its been quite some time since I was able to say that, but it is with great pleasure that I can. Lots more updates to come -- In the next few days I'll be in North Carolina exploring my way to the Great Smoky Mountains and then meandering back to the coast... Stay tuned!

A.S. Bloom
Follow Me On Flickr for All My Photos:
www.flickr.com/48states80days/

No comments:

Post a Comment