Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Nati, Lexington, and West Virginia

Once again, welcome back for the second of two blasts for tonite. I hope that you enjoyed my travels through bourbon country and Louisville, and are hungry for another bite from the road. Read on, blogosphere, you've earned it!

After a wonderful day on the Bourbon Trail, and exploring Louisville, I spent most of the day touring Louisville before heading out. My tour guide Alex and I went and had a delicious lunch from an Indian buffet, and then went to see downtown. Downtown Louisville is a pretty cool place, and as she explained is a complete anomaly as far as Kentucky goes. Among the sites we saw, some of my favorites included the 30 ft. louisville slugger bat resting against a building, and Churchill Downs - both very cool. After a fun little tour, I headed North and West to Cincinnati.

Cincy is a cool town just North of the Ohio River with a bustling metropolis and a damn good baseball team. After a restful night just North of town, I headed downtown to grab a bite and walk around. I ate at a Cincinnati institution: Skyline Chili. This place has been around since the early 1900's and celebrates and unique variety of chili that is spiced with cinnamon, cocoa, and hot chilis. This results in an interesting but delicious variety of chili - I had mine on what the locals call a five way (pasta, chili, beans, onions, and cheese) - quite good. 

After lunch I took a little walk around downtown before heading to the Krohn Conservatory for a little tour of some beautiful flora. Krohn is a spectacular series of greenhouses focusing on all types of vegetation, both local and tropical. After touring and taking some stunning photos (head over to the flickr site for all the goodies) I headed to the Cincy Art Museum, which was unfortunately closed - bummer. No problem though, I was only a couple of minutes from my other destination: Graeter's. Graeter's is a Cincy tradition for several generations, and is craved worldwide. They have some of the best ice cream that I have ever tasted, and the stuff that was fresh from the line did not disappoint.

After a nice day in The Nati, I headed South to Lexington. Lexington is self proclaimed as the horse capital of the U.S., and there was surely no shortage of proof. After a good night's sleep, I woke and headed out on a tour of the downtown and the historic area that surrounds it called Gratz Park. Although the main drag is pretty torn up due to construction (took me 20 mins to get 6 blocks) the surrounding areas are beautiful, ornate, and historic. They also have a really cool J.Doe project that involves, who woulda thought, horses.  

After a nice afternoon in Lexington (narrowly avoiding a huge downpour) I headed West to Charleston, the capitol of West Virginia. I got in late, uploaded some pics, watched a movie on HBO and passed out. After a nice restful night, I woke for my tour of Charleston. Although there is not a ton to report here, they do have a beautiful capitol building located right off the Kanawha River. Charleston is a small and historic town located in a a gorgeous lush green area, and seems to cater to a slower pace of life. Overall a cool place to visit.

Alright blogosphere, I'm happy to report that once again you are completely caught up on the trip! Tonight I'm in Roanoke, and headed to Richmond tomorrow - I'll make sure to keep you in the loop :)

A.S. Bloom

Follow Me On Flickr for All My Photos:
www.flickr.com/48states80days/

No comments:

Post a Comment