Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Albuquerque, Amarillo, Oklahoma City

Well hello there stranger, its been quite some time! It feels like its been months since I've blogged last, but in reality just a few days -- a few days too long. I've missed broadcasting the trip, and I'm sure some of you have missed the updates as well. Well, finally after a busy few days, I have a chance to update the word on the goings on of the trip.

Last time you heard from me, I was in Santa Fe after a glorious day at the Grand Canyon. After a late start from the motel, I got on the road to Albuquerque. I got into town, and quickly headed to the Frontier Cafe for a bowl of Green Chile Stew and some homemade guac and chips. Absolutely delicious. The Green Chile was burn your mouth off hot, but still managed to be one the best bowls I have ever had. After fueling up I headed to set up camp just north of town. To my dismay, it began raining halfway through the set up process, so I decided to forge on, finish setting up, and go from there.

After a bit of posturing, I decided to head down to the ballpark to get my baseball fix. The local team, The Albuquerque Isotopes, were playing The Oklahoma City Redbirds, and it seemed like it would be a fun outing. For the minimal cost of $12 (Beer was still $7) I was able to procure box seats on the 3rd base line, which provided an excellent vantage point for the game. The game was hotly contested for the entire 9, with the match being sealed in the final frame by the Isotopes closer. Topes 7, Redbirds 5. After the game, I headed back to camp, and passed out for the night.

After a quick rest (shortened by screaming kids @ 5 AM) I set out on the long haul to Amarillo. There was nothing in particular that was drawing me to Amarillo, but it made a good stopping point on the road, and is said to have particularly good BBQ. After doing a little research I decided to go grab some food. To my dismay, the restaurant I had chosen had signs posted in the window reading "Gone on Vacation -- You'll have to wait till July 12 to get yer fix." Well, I couldn't wait until then, and jetted off to another BBQ restaurant that my GPS had suggested. I got a platter with pulled pork, sausage, beans, coleslaw, texas toast, onion rings, and potato salad. A small portion in Texas. Everything was pretty good, with the standouts being the homemade onion rings, and extra tender pulled pork. Stuffed to the gills, I retired for the night.

After a good nights sleep, I departed and once again made a long drive across Texas and Oklahoma into Oklahoma City. I'm sure there is plenty to do in OKC, but I was road weary, and simply needed some time to rest and recover. I grabbed some fast food, settled into a marathon of stand up comedy on T.V. and that was it for the night. I was snoozing before I knew it, with dreams of hot summer nights in Dallas on my mind.

A.S. Bloom

Follow Me On Flickr for All My Photos:
www.flickr.com/48states80days/

No comments:

Post a Comment