Search This Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bean Town,Newport, and Concord

Welcome Back! Its been a while since the last post, but things have been rather busy, and I finally have time to catch you up on my travels. So much has happened since the last update -- Awesome experiences with many cool people, beautiful cities, and tons of fun! Enough banter, lets get to it!

After a restful night near New Haven, I headed North and East to Boston. Boston is a real gem of a city, and one that I had been anticipating for quite some time on my journey. I arrived mid-afternoon, and met up with a good buddy from college, Colin. Colin lives so close to Fenway Park (Home of the Boston Red Sox) that I wouldn't be surprised if foul balls occasionally pass by his window. Colin had serious plans for the night, and I was game.

Without delay, we headed downtown for our first stop of the evening -- a free hip hop show. After a quick stroll through Boston Commons and the Park , we headed to the show. The artists were energetic and enthusiastic, and thousands of supporters lent their cheers and screams to the ambiance. A few minutes later we arrived at the main attraction for the night: Silent Disco . I won't try to explain it in this space (click the link for more info), but lets just say it was one of the highlights of the trip. Good beer flowed like water, good people were around every corner, and groovy tunes poured into my ears all night. 

After a great night of Silent Disco and bar hopping with Colin, we headed back to his place and passed out. During my time in Boston, I got invited to Newport for the night, so without hesitation I headed South to beautiful coastal Rhode Island. I arrived in early afternoon, just in time for a beach outing with some newly found friends from New York. We sat around discussing food, politics, and other topics of interest all while getting a good tan! After a marvelous afternoon at the beach we headed back to their rental, and settled in for the night.

My new friends all had plans for a harbor cruise, so after seeing them off, I headed to the grocery store to grab some key ingredients for a delectable meal. When I got back, I got to whipping up a feast for the group that included: Kale salad, grilled skirt steak, fresh shrimp, corn on the cob, zuccini and summer squash, and fruit salad, just to name a few! We all devoured the food - I don't think there was more than a couple bites of anything left - and followed dinner with several wine courses. Afterwards we grilled smores, and had the final glass of wine before everyone retired for the night. A truly great day.

After waking from a wonderfully wine-induced slumber, I gathered my things, said my thank yous and was on my way (mind you, it was after noon before i left!). Once again I was headed North, this time to Concord, a cute little town in central New Hampshire. After arriving, I grabbed a bite to eat, and exhuasted, I fell asleep sometime around nine.

I got up early the next morning ready to explore what Concord had to offer. Concord is not really known for much outside of being the state capitol of New Hampshire, but I truly did enjoy my time there. They have a beautiful state capitol building that still houses the state legislature (the oldest such building to do so) and state lawmaker's doors sit ajar as one may have envisioned the scene some 100 years ago. After touring the downtown area, I grabbed some lunch at a yummy thai restaurant before hitting the road.

Ok folks, thats all the time I have for now, but more updates are in the works. Be patient, and you shall be rewarded :)

A.S. Bloom

Follow Me On Flickr for All My Photos:
www.flickr.com/48states80days/

No comments:

Post a Comment